Some items the hospital is in need of can be handmade. Items must be made with new and unused fabric and materials. Please carefully look over each sewn item for pins and needles. This will help prevent any injury to the patients. Please review our donation guidelines before delivering your donations.
Items to Make
Medical Play Dolls
The hospital uses medical play dolls to help children understand medical procedures. Thanks to the community's generous donations, we currently have all the medical play dolls we need, however if you already have plans to make dolls or are in the process, please feel free to continue. We will update the website when we are in need of more dolls.
Safe Sleep Sacks
A new Infant Safe Sleep Initiative states that infants should not be covered by a quilt, but be placed in a sleep sack for warmth and covered only by a light blanket. We're in need of safe sleep sacks that are secured with velcro and allow for wires and tubing. Click here for patterns and instructions.
These are a creative and fun item that the patients really enjoy. Please use fleece or other soft fabric for the body - no felt (felt is fine for the eyes). You can also make them into puppets. See example patterns below:
Decoration and Craft Kits
We accept decoration and craft kits for patients to assemble in the hospital.
- Place all items in plastic zip storage bags
- Include craft instructions and a photo of the finished product (optional) so the kids know what to do!
- Pre-cut all paper into the needed shapes and sizes including small things like silhouettes, eyes, teeth, dots, stripes, etc.
Please do not:
- Do not include glue, glitter, paint or scissors in the kits.
- Do not include items with latex, which can be found in balloons, rubber gloves, bracelet kits and craft foam. Some of our patients are allergic to latex and it is not allowed in the hospital.
Check out these ideas for craft and decoration kits:
Paper Bag Monster Puppets
Blankets & Quilts
We are in need of a variety of types and sizes of blankets and quilts. Please remember all items must be new and unused.
42" x 45" single layer flannel blankets with sewn edges. We especially need plain pastel colors. We cannot accept crocheted edges or red flannel. Please note, we do not require flannel blankets be washed before they are delivered to the hospital, however, we encourage washing your hands before and during the blanket-making process.
Gauze/Muslin Blankets for Swaddling
Cotton gauze blankets for swaddling in the nursery. These are approximately 53” x 53”. Make a ¼ inch hem by turning twice and sewing down. Plain gauze or muslin and nursery print gauze or muslin are both acceptable.
Currently we are only accepting boy-themed twin quilts, sized 72" x 90". Please count the pins you use when you are making the quilt and then count them again upon completion. This extra step will help us ensure the safety of the patients
* Thanks to the community's generous donations, we currently have all the fleece blankets we need. However if you already have plans to make blankets or are in the process, please feel free to continue. We will update the website when we are in need of more fleece blankets.
We accept fleece blankets sized 72"x58". They can be either one or two layers of fabric. Remove selvages and tie all four sides. Here's a great instruction video: