HerediGene is a genetic test that can identify a hereditary link to breast cancer and identify increased risk of developing cancer. HerediGene test results can be used to better personalize cancer screening.
The HerediGene Hereditary Breast Cancer Panel provides comprehensive coverage of 18 genes (ATM, BARD1, BRCA1, BRCA2, BRIP1, CDH1, CHEK2, MRE11, MUTYH, NBN, NF1, PALB2, PTEN, RAD50, RAD51C, RAD51D, STK11, TP53) associated with an increased risk of hereditary breast cancer.
DNA is extracted from a cheek (buccal) swab or blood sample from the patient.
- The quality and quantity of DNA is measured before it is tested with Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) technology. This process reads the patient’s DNA sequence for the genes of interest and identifies any changes from the expected sequence.
- Detected changes, or variants, are then analyzed to determine whether or not they are clinically significant, and a report is generated listing any important changes we find that may indicate a hereditary risk of developing cancer.
- The number of copies of certain genes are tested with MLPA technology to look for copy number variants, or CNVs.
- A report identifying either a positive risk for hereditary cancer or a negative (no increased risk) result will be returned to the ordering provider.
Download the order form here and fax the completed form to (435) 251-5781.
HerediGene testing is usually performed on a buccal swab specimen, but whole blood is also acceptable. View buccal swap specimen instructions here.
Your HerediGene test results will come as formatted in the sample report below.
Billing and Insurance Information
While some insurance companies cover genetic testing, please work with the patient’s insurance company for any pre-authorization requirements prior to ordering. The CPT codes for this test are listed below for your convenience. If you have any questions, or would like assistance, please call our customer service representatives at (435) 251-5780.
- HerediGene: Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer Syndrome Panel - 81162