Style Guide Usage
When writing about LDS Hospital, please use the following guidelines:
- Use the full name “LDS Hospital” on first reference and for all subsequent references.
- When referring to Intermountain Healthcare, the parent health system of LDS Hospital, use "Intermountain Healthcare" on first reference, and use "Intermountain" on subsequent references, or if a shortened reference is needed.
- Because "Healthcare" is one word, the use of "IHC" is obsolete. Please don't use it.
If you have any questions regarding style guide usage for references to LDS Hospital, or Intermountain Healthcare, please contact us.
Medical Terms and Acronyms
Definitions for commonly used medical terms regarding patients. For answers to questions regarding medical terms used at our hospital, contact media relations.
- Inpatient: A patient who stays at least one night in the hospital while receiving care.
- Outpatient: A patient who receives care and is released on the same day as when the care was provided.
Here is a guide to some commonly used medical term abbreviations.
- BSN: Bachelor of Science, Nursing
- CASWCM: Certified Advanced Social Work Case Manager
- CCC-SLP: Clinical Competence Certification for Speech Language Pathology
- CCLS: Certified Child Life Specialist
- CDE: Certified Diabetes Educator
- CFNP: Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
- CNOR: Certified Perioperative Nurse
- CPNP: Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- CPST: Child Passenger Safety Technician and Instructor
- CRN: Certified Rerioperative Nurse
- CTRS: Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist
- DO: Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
- DrPH: Doctor of Public Health
- LCSW-C: Licensed Clinical Social Work – Certified
- LMSW: Licensed Master Social Worker
- MD: Doctor of Medicine
- MPH: Master of Public Health
- MSW: Master of Social Work
- PharmD: Doctor of Pharmacy
- PhD: Doctor of Philosophy
- PsyD: Doctor of Psychology
- RD: Registered Dietitian
- RN: Registered Nurse
- ScD: Doctor of Science