Having a healthy pregnancy is essential to a healthy body and healthy baby. We want to help our patients experience a healthy birth, and this is best accomplished by focusing on early prenatal care. Prenatal care can begin even before your pregnancy starts and does aid in improving the changes of a healthy pregnancy.
Preconception care visits are designed to help women who are planning to become pregnant. Preconception care will promote a healthy pregnancy and birth of an infant by eating healthy, avoiding certain things like alcohol and smoking, and increasing their intake of folic acid. Here are some other steps women can take before they become pregnant:
- Work with your doctor to discuss healthy weight gain
- Control medical conditions or seek treatment for diabetes, depression, and anxiety
- Receive immunizations to bring them up to date
- Learn about family health history
- Avoid alcohol, smoking, and other drugs that could interfere with the fetus
Seeking Prenatal Care
If you are currently pregnant, we recommend calling our Salt Lake hospital as soon as possible to schedule a visit with our providers for prenatal care. Prenatal visits will help an expectant mother with a healthy body and healthy baby lifestyle. Prenatal visits include weight checks, urine samples, blood tests, imaging tests, and other tests that may be necessary based on medical history. Each visit will focus on discussions related to the mother’s health and the infant’s health.
Early prenatal care is one of the best things expectant mothers can do to ensure a healthy pregnancy. Here are some of the things early prenatal care will provide:
- Reduced risk of pregnancy complications. When you seek early treatment for a healthy pregnancy, medical professionals will be able to check on conditions that could cause problems during pregnancy for the mother or the fetus. Our experts will help you understand different lifestyle activities that may interfere with the developing fetus, and what you can do for your own body to manage serious conditions including diabetes.
- Healthy baby and healthy delivery. The right diet and exercise routine will aid in reducing a number of pregnancy complications and will improve the birthing process. Folic acid is one of the most important vitamins to include in your daily diet as it does reduce the risk of neural tube defects by 70 percent.
For more information about prenatal care in Salt Lake City, contact LDS Hospital today.