What is eating mindfully? It is paying attention to what you eat, when you eat and why you eat. Here are some principles to help you eat more mindfully in your daily life.
- Listen to your body’s hunger cues. Eat when you are hungry and stop before you are full, or when you are satisfied.
- Slow down and take time to enjoy your food.
- Before eating, ask yourself, “Am I hungry?”
- Eat meals with family or friends.
- Turn off the TV and computer when you eat.
- Choose foods that are satisfying and nourishing to you and pay attention to how those foods make you feel. Do not avoid certain foods or food groups.
- Avoid labeling foods as “good” and “bad.” Every food can fit in a healthy diet in moderation.