Patients referred by their doctor can be scheduled for an individual outpatient consult with a registered nurse and/or a registered dietician, depending on specific needs.
- Basic diabetes education (self management skills, risk reduction, and exercise prescriptions).
- Avoidance of hypoglycemia
- Prevention of common heart and vascular complications
- Prevention of complications such as eye disease, kidney dysfunction, and neuropathies
- Glucose monitoring
- Dietary counseling (including meal planning, weight loss and carbohydrate counting).
- Instructional assistance with oral diabetes medications and insulins.
- Follow-up visits may be necessary, especially if the doctor ordering the consult would like assistance with adjusting medications.
Initial visits will last approximately two hours and follow-up visits average 15-30 minutes.