Application Information for 2024 Intern Class
Saint Joseph Hospital Graduate Medical Education Residency uses ONLY the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS) for each year's application process and match. This service necessitates electronic applications only. Please contact ERAS for more information on the application process.
The following information is required to be submitted to ERAS for your application to be accepted for review:
- Personal statement
- Dean's letter
- Medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
- USMLE transcript. (We do not recognize the COMLEX as an alternative to the USMLE for selection purposes for an interview.)
- Once we have reviewed ERAS applications, we will select individuals to complete an Introductory Video Interview for our program. This will include a one-way video recording of you answering a series of straight forward questions. This Introductory Video Interview will be offered via email starting October 2023. You must complete the Introductory Video Interview for our program in order to be considered for a formal interview.
- If you are selected to participate in the Introductory Video Interview, you will be emailed a link to the platform we use (SparkHire), with instructions on how to record and submit, along with the questions that you will be answering during the video.
- Please note that the Introductory Video Interview WILL BE RECORDED so that it may be reviewed by multiple reviewers. By submitting this recording, you consent to have the recording kept on record and reviewed by our interview selection committee. This will not be used outside of the interview process.
- Formal interviews will be offered to selected candidates starting October 2023 after reviewing the Introductory Video Interviews.
- All formal interviews will be done virtually at the recommendation of the Association of Program Directors in Surgery. Interviews will commence in November 2023 - January 2024. We will be utilizing a Microsoft Teams Meets platform. The formal interview will not be recorded.
- At this time there will be no in-person interviews in accordance with national recommendations.
- Applications must be submitted electronically through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application System)
- Due to the large volume of high quality applicants that we receive, if you have a keen interest in our program please reach out via email to Sherry Morgan or Dr. Johnson to signal your interest. If you haven't heard about an interview by January 15, feel free to reach out by email.
- Interview offers will be sent out in October and all interviews will be done virtually via Microsoft Teams in November, December and January.
For questions or additional information:
Sherry Morgan - Program Administrator
Saint Joseph Hospital 1375 E. 19th Avenue
Denver, CO 80218
Salary and Benefits
Saint Joseph Hospital residents are offered a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package is designed to help residents and their families have peace of mind knowing they have the coverage they need.
Download our Resident Physicians 2023 Summary Overview (This is only a summary of the benefits extended to residents. The official plan documents and contracts will govern in case of conflict in descriptions. SCL Health is the plan sponsor and reserve the right to terminate or amend the plan provisions at any time.)
Resident Stipends (Annualized)
2023 - 2024 Academic Year
- Post Graduate Year I (PGY-I) - $65,788
- Post Graduate Year II (PGY-II) - $68,270
- Post Graduate Year III (PGY-III) - $71,516
- Post Graduate Year IV (PGY-IV) - $76,322
- Post Graduate Year V (PGY-V) - $78,970
Time Off Benefits
- Vacation Time - Four (4) calendar weeks per year.
- Sick Leave - Ten (10) days per contract year. Unused sick leave will accrue from one contract year to the next provided that the contract was not terminated for reasons of exclusion from the program. Unused sick time is not paid out at the conclusion of the final year of the residency program.
- Kaiser Medical Plan is offered at no cost to the resident. Saint Joseph Hospital will pay the full cost of the coverage level elected by the resident, e.g. employee only, employee + spouse, employee + child(ren), or employee and family.
- The resident may elect any of the other medical plans offered; however, the resident will be required to pay the premium rates noted on the enrollment worksheet for employees.
- The resident may participate in the Dental Plans offered to employees. The resident will pay the premium rates for whichever plan selection is made.
Life and Accidental Death & Disability Insurance
- Basic Plan: SCL Health will provide the resident with life and AD&D insurance up to two times the resident's base pay.
- Additional Employee Life and AD&D Insurance: The resident may elect to purchase additional life and AD&D insurance coverage for him/herself as described in the Benefits Guide, at the rates in effect for the plan year. These rates are noted on the enrollment worksheet.
- Dependent Life and AD&D: The resident may elect to purchase dependent life and AD&D insurance for his/her spouse or child(ren) as described in the Benefits Guide at the same rates as apply to other employees.
- Long-Term Disability Insurance: SCL Health provides each resident with long-term disability benefit of $2,000 after a 90-day elimination period. The definition of disability and the benefit coverage adhere to the terms and conditions outlined in the Benefits Guide as for any other employee. The value of the benefit is different from that stated in the guide.
- Short-Term Disability Insurance: Resident may participate in this employer-paid benefit under the terms and conditions as outlined in the enrollment materials.
- Retirement Plan: The resident can participate in the Retirement Plan as described in the Benefits Guide under the same terms and conditions provided to any other employee.
- Vision Plan: The resident can participate in this benefit just like any other employee at the same rates as outlined in the enrollment materials.
- Liability Insurance: The residents are covered under the SCL Health policy as long as they are engaged in approved residency activities of Saint Joseph Hospital and are subject to all terms and conditions of the policy. This includes all education activities performed within the scope of the resident's duties as detailed by the Residency Program Director. Activities for which independent compensation is provided such as moonlighting are specifically excluded from coverage by Saint Joseph Hospital. The residents may, and are encouraged to, examine the policy kept on file in the risk manager's office. Individual certificates of insurance are kept on file by each training program.
- Lab Coats: Two white lab coats will be provided for each first year resident. One new white lab coat will be provided to each resident each year thereafter.
- Meals: Meals will be furnished in the Saint Joseph Hospital cafeteria when the resident is required to remain on-call in the hospital throughout the on-call duty hours.