This family-friendly trail visits a small waterfall along the Nebo Loop Road. With several fun log bridges and plenty of water to play in this trail is sure to be a hit for children of all ages. At just 0.3 miles one-way with an elevation gain of about 180 feet this trail is suitable for most children and adults. Narrow log bridges and hiking through some rocky terrain may make it unsuitable for some.
The Grotto Trail begins on the Nebo Loop Road (39.951499,-111.675658). To reach the trailhead from I-15 near Payson, Utah:
- Take Exit 250 for UT-115/Payson.
- Turn south onto UT-115/Main Street.
- Continue 0.7 miles to UT-198/100 North.
- Turn left (east) onto 100 North.
- Continue 0.5 miles to 600 East.
- Turn right (south) onto 600 East.
- Continue 8.0 miles on 600 East, which soon becomes the Nebo Loop Road, to the signed trailhead for the Grotto Trail.
Begin hiking on the marked Grotto Trail located southwest of the parking area. The trail follows a small stream through a beautiful forested canyon bottom. After a short distance, a series of interesting log bridges provide access across the stream. For most of the year, the creek is so low that the bridges may not be necessary, however kids will still have a blast walking across them.
Continue up the canyon, crossing the creek a couple more times before the trail ends at Grotto Falls (39.94855, -111.67758). The mossy, overhanging rock walls at the grotto provide plenty of shade to help you take in the scene. When you’re done at the falls, simply return the way you came for a total round trip hike of approximately 0.6 miles.
- Clean up after pets.
- Pack out all trash.
- Do not carve or draw on rocks.
This trail guide is provided by Backcountry Post.